Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Samuel is 3 Weeks Old!

Wow, I just typed March, guess I’m still in a bit of a time warp. Well, Samuel is three weeks old now and still not sleeping through the night :) I’m a bit sleep deprived but was sort of inspired to update our blog a little. It’s been a bit light since August, which isn’t surprising, that’s when we found out we were pregnant with Samuel. I was also a bit out of excuses since my friend who has 5 kiddos, including brand new twins, is updating her blog fairly regularly. What can I say about the first 3 weeks? Well, the first two were awesome! Seriously, my Mom was here and took amazing care of Judah, as well as cleaning, cooking, and caring for me and Samuel too. Jamie also was able to take off the first week, which was great since he was still recovering from his head cold. It’s also been unusually sunny which has helped with all our moods and allowed us to get outside to play and do projects and walk.


Samuel is actually a pretty great baby. He is nursing like a champ, he went from 9 lbs to 8 lbs 8 oz and then back to 9 lbs 10 oz in the first two weeks. We had a bit of a blip at day 3 when my milk transitioned from colostrum to milk, he just didn’t quite know what to do with it and we struggled for a day. Thankfully we had our doctor appointment that morning and I was able to have a phone consult with the lactation consultant which were reassuring. He is also pretty good natured and sleeps well. We’re up every 2-3 hours but he falls right back to sleep after eating, similar to Judah. He’s the fussiest in the evening and doesn’t go to bed until 11ish but continues his night sleep until 9ish. That would be great for me as I’m a night owl that likes to sleep in if it weren’t for son #1 getting up earlier and earlier it seems as the sun comes out earlier and earlier.


Judah has suddenly become a big kid, like overnight, when we brought Samuel home. He is the “big brother” and has become fearless and brave. Just the week before Samuel was born I had to go with him to his dark room or downstairs. But now “big brother” will go everywhere (sometimes this is not good, like when I’m nursing and hear the garage door shut because he’s gone looking for Dad who was mowing lawn, did I mention he can’t get into the house from the garage yet?). I had joked that I was hoping Judah would be able to dress himself before baby came. As of even the day before he was born Judah was still not able to dress himself. Baby comes home and boom, he is dressing himself, completely, undies, pants, and shirt. Sometimes they are on backwards but we don’t complain. He loves his baby brother and is pretty gentle and sweet to him. He has become a pro at sanitizing his hands before touching him which turned out to be a really good thing because on Friday after my Mom left we discovered...pink eye!


Cue trip to the doctor, our second that week. Thankfully my mother in law Andi and Jamie’s Aunt Lexi had planned to come up to visit for the day so I was able to put them in charge of the baby with some pumped milk and take Judah by myself. We got eye drops which are a bugger to get into his eyes, thankfully my MIL had a great tip that they just had to go in the corner of his closed eye and they would blink into the eye. The “Grandmas”, as Judah called Andi and Lexi, also did laundry and cleaned up my kitchen, huge thank you for that!

The weekend weather was good and we did some projects outside. We put together our new patio furniture and washed up our old set to sell. Judah helped me go to Fred Meyer for my fuschias for my hanging baskets. Sunday we had our first family outing for lunch. We went to Demetris in Edmonds, sat on the patio, and saw three trains!

No comments:

Post a Comment