Saturday, August 25, 2012

Jean Quilts!


While I’m feeling all inspired to write about life I thought I’d tell you about my jean quilting project that I did for last Christmas. I had a stack of hole-y old jeans that I have been collecting basically since we were married. So when I say a stack I mean a big one. I’d collected them even before I knew how to quilt since its sacrilige in our family to 1. throw away a watermelon rind (why you ask? You make pickles with them of course! Though these new fangled watermelons don’t have nearly the rind they used to so those ones you can throw) and 2. throw away jeans that can be used to make blankets. Anyway, fast forward 6 years and I’ve learned to quilt, have a huge stack of jeans, a creative urge, and it’s Christmas coming up!

Now, my grandma’s jean blankets are usually squares but in order to maximize the number of blankets I could make I decided to get a bit creative and first start with strips. Also, this had the added benefit of minimizing sewing fabric back together. My other constraint was the fact that I had already procured several pieces of backing fabric at yardsales and the sale rack at Joann’s. This limited the dimensions of my blankets and in some cases made me get creative to use the whole piece of backing. In the end I was able to make 6 blankets! One for each of my female family members (they have to share with spouses) and one for me! Below is more detail on each blanket and the general order I finished them in, though I had them all mostly thought out well ahead of finishing the first.

 

  1. Andi’s: Brown corduroy backing, 6” offset strips
  2. Jenn’s: Gold upholstery backing, 10” strips with edging strips of 4” squares
  3. Mom’s: Blue backing, 10” squares with 6” strip accents and a center of 5” squares
  4. Grandma’s: Tan corduroy backing, 10” Strips
  5. Amanda’s: Green backing, 6” random strips
  6. Mine: Red upholstery backing, 6” squares

 

Zaehring_20111211_221727_IMG_3903.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

Zaehring_20111211_222032_IMG_3905.jpg

 IMG_4016.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment