Monday, May 13, 2013

Potty Training Followup (or the Poop Saga)

WARNING  contains graphic poop talk
Ironically, on Monday I was sick as a dog starting mid-day with nausea. When Jamie got home I took a test and found out I was pregnant! Wow, boy was I glad we trained when we did, before I felt like puking myself. In the days after training pee continued to get better and better. We ventured out mostly successfully! We did have some challenges on the #2’s. Including going to a BBQ on Tuesday (after not having pooped for two days) that resulted in 3 trips to the bathroom for pooping in the undies. We left while on our last pair of undies.  Thursday we took an outing to the beach with some friends for dinner. We brought our portable potty and Judah used it to pee!


Fast forward a few more days to Friday when I find that I am miscarrying. Devastating. And in the midst of that, Judah hasn’t pooped in three days and is going to bathroom every 2 minutes because he needs to go and saying “my tummy is hurt-ing” in the cutest sad voice ever. We are grieving, stressed, out of patience, and not sure what to do. On Saturday we load up on the fruit and keep on going. That night we had a dinner with friends that took forever to schedule and we were reluctant to try to re-schedule. They have 5 kids so we told them what was up with Judah, brought the potty, and went. Another 17 trips to the bathroom, sometimes with pee success but mostly for the poop and I was done. Dad took over and made Judah sit instead of pop right up again...and he went! Amazing. And he went in his potty two more times, with only once having some in his undies.


The next week was poop accidents in the undies, leading right into our trip to MN on Saturday. Jamie and I were freaking a bit, just dealing with public toilets in the airport and plane is one thing, but poop too? Thankfully Judah did great, peeing in the family restroom at the airport and even on the plane! Jamie took him once and I took him two more times (unsuccessfully) on the plane. The trip to Grandma’s included an unsuccessful stop at Culvers and two by the roadside. Thankfully Mom’s neighbor had borrowed us a little potty so once we arrived we were set. After several false alarms to the potty he finally pooped, though under protest. I had to sit and hug him while calmly coaxing him to relax but it worked.

Finally on June 2, we had a breakthough. More constant trips to the potty because, to quote Judah, “it coming out of my butt!” (adorable! and also sad). Jamie has headed to Iowa for work so its me and Mom. I decided to give him a bath that evening to hopefully get him to relax enough to go and what do you know, it worked! He stode up in his bath because he needed to go, I sat him on the potty, hugged him and softly whispered “push, push, push” and he did it. He got a bowl of ice cream as a reward, which I had tried to bribe him with earlier. Turns out ice cream is a good reward, he has since gone twice more on the potty and each time jumps up saying “ice cream!” He also got a tattoo and pop pop (tick tack) for his efforts. Here’s to hoping we’re over this particular hurdle.


2013-06-03 at 18.33.54

No comments:

Post a Comment